The Association of Black Anthropologists (ABA), Society of Black Archaeologists (SBA), and the Black in BioAnth (BiBA) Collective are pleased to announce a call for papers for a conference entitled “Anthropology and the Black Experience.”
The 21st century has witnessed significant shifts in the anthropological landscape, with diverse voices and perspectives emerging to challenge traditional narratives. This conference seeks to explore the unique contributions and experiences of Black scholars in anthropology, emphasizing the rich tapestry of knowledge, methodologies, and insights they bring to the discipline. We invite scholars, researchers, and students from all sub-disciplines and related fields to reflect on the historiography of anthropology in Africa and the African diaspora, the role and contributions of people of African descent in the field, and the latest research being done by and in communities of African descent.
Topics of Interest:We welcome submissions on a range of topics, including but not limited to:
- Historical and contemporary contributions of Black anthropologists.
- Methodological innovations introduced by scholars of African descent.
- The intersection of race, identity, and anthropological research.
- Case studies highlighting the experiences of Black communities globally.
- The future of anthropology: Challenges and opportunities for Black scholars.
- Abstracts should be no more than 300 words.
- Include a title, author(s) name, affiliation, and contact details.
- Indicate if the submission is for a paper presentation, panel discussion, or poster session.
- Submit here.
- Abstract Submission Deadline: December 31, 2023
- Notification of Acceptance: Late January
- Conference Dates: May 15-18, 2024 at University of Cheikh Anta Diop in Dakar, Senegal
Please email all questions and inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more conference information, go here.
We look forward to reviewing your submissions, and hope you join us in Dakar.