Skip to content
- 1954 Ph.D. Social Anthropology; University of Chicago
- 1931 BS Biology; Hampton Institute
- Dissertation: Values, Social Structure, and Race Relations in the British Isles.
- Research interests: Africa, the African diaspora, race and power, social change, social and intellectual history
- Selected Publications: Black Metropolis: A Study of Negro Life in a Northern City (1945, coauthored with Horace Cayton), Race Relations in a Time of Rapid Social Change (1966), Redemption of Africa and Black Religion (1970), Black Folk Here and There: An Essay in History and Anthropology, Vols. 1 & 2 (1987, 1990).