Skip to content
- 1952 Ph.D. Anthropology; Cornell University
- 1937 BA Journalism; New York University
- The first African American woman to earn a Ph.D. in cultural anthropology from a US university; first African American woman to establish a professional practice in public relations counseling in the 1940s in New York City.
- Dissertation: The Case of Chef A: An Inquiry into and Analysis of a Human Relations Situation
- Areas of Work: Cultural and applied anthropology, journalism, and fiction writing.
- Selected Publications: “Hall of liberty.” Opportunity 16(4):112-115, 121 (1938); “Southern circumstance.” Opportunity 16(10):310-312; one of several collaborating authors for Robin M. Williams, Jr.’s Strangers Next Door: Ethnic Relations in American Communities (1964).